The National Honey Board has partnered with registered dietitian Maggie Michalczyk to showcase how any dish, from appetizers to cocktails, benefits when it’s deliciously flavored #NaturallyWithHoney!
Maggie has created four easy-to-follow recipe formulas to elevate your everyday routine and provide that delicious dose of inspiration you’ve been looking for - taking your regular snack, meal or cocktail up a notch! In addition to her recipes, Maggie shared her go-to nutrition tips to help put your best foot forward, no matter what the day brings.
- Is your sweet tooth sabotaging you after every meal? Try sipping on a dessert-flavored tea like apple cinnamon or chocolate orange with a spoonful of honey. Honey adds flavor and is 100% pure. How sweet is that?
- Harness the power of plants. Considering skipping meat a few times a week for more plant-based meals? Start with a 50/50 recipe like swapping out half of the meat in tacos for mushrooms, or half of the meat in a burger with lentils.
- Store-bought salad dressings often contain a long list of ingredients. Make your own dressing at home with olive oil, honey, lemon juice, mustard, turmeric, fresh herbs and salt and pepper. Honey serves as an emulsifier that helps to bind and thicken dressings.
- Sad leftovers, no more! Liven up leftovers by adding a “green base.” Leftover pizza? Cut it into pizza “croutons” and put it on a salad. Leftover pasta? Freshen it up by adding in a handful of spinach or kale, which is packed with vitamin C, A and K.
- Wondering how to use less sugar in your favorite baked goods? Consider using honey in things like quick bread, cookies, homemade pancakes and more. Honey gives baked goods a uniquely delicious flavor and because it’s sweeter than sugar, you can use less of it.