All Appetizer Recipes
- Anticuchos of White Seabass with Aji Chile Honey Marinade And Semilla Salsa
- Asian Turkey Wontons with Mango Salsa
- Bees in the Herb Garden Dip or Dressing
- BLT Jam Flatbread Pizza
- Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Crostini with Whipped Feta and Honey
- Buzzy Bruschetta
- Caramelized Nuts with Honey and Chile Piquin
- Chipotle-Mango Salsa
- Curried Honey-Glazed Chicken Wings
- Double Corn and Honey Fritters with Honey-Bacon Drizzle
- Flatbread with Melted Manchego, Rosemary and Honey
- Fritos Vegtable Tempura with Chile Verde Honey Dipping Sauce
- Goat Cheese Spread with Lemon and Honey
- Grilled Honey, Lime and Cumin Marinated Shrimp
- Honey and Nut Glazed Brie
- Honey BBQ Party Franks
- Honey Brushed Pear & Boursin Crostini
- Honey Champagne Fondue
- Honey Chicken Wings
- Honey Cups with Brie, Walnuts and Cranberries
- Honey Sriracha Grilled Wings
- Honey-Curry Vegetable Dip
- Honey-Jack Mexican Fondue
- Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers
- Honey-Peanut Butter Protein Energy Balls
- Honey-Whiskey Popcorn
- Moroccan Spiced Hummus
- Northwest Bruschetta
- Pear, Blue Cheese and Honey Tartine
- Prosciutto Honey Wraps
- Roasted Eggplant with Feta and Honey Drizzle
- Sage-Honey Roasted Acorn Squash
- Sea Bass Ceviche
- Skewers of Cumin Chicken with Yogurt Lemon Honey Dipping Sauce
- Spicy Honey Rosemary Cheese Snacks
- Sriracha and Honey Deviled Eggs
- Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings
- Sweetly Curried Dipping Sauce
- Tapas of Short Ribs with Honey Chimichurri Sauce
- Veggie Wraps with Avocado-Honey Dressing
- Winter Honey Lox Toast
Double Corn and Honey Fritters with Honey-Bacon Drizzle
Crunchy on the outside and fluffy within, these luscious fritters are irresistible. Try a lighter honey such as a clover or orange blossom in the batter. Warmed dark wildflower or buckwheat honey blended with crisp bacon propels the taste over the top.
Yield: 12 large fritters (4 to 6 servings)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 slices - thick-sliced bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¾ cup - coarse yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup - all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons - baking powder
- 1 teaspoon - coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon - freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cup - corn niblets, fresh raw or drained canned
- ¾ cup - buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons - light honey
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup - dark honey
Fry the bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Lift from the bacon fat with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper lined plate. Set aside.
In a large bowl, stir cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and black pepper until well blended. Stir in the corn.
In a small bowl whisk the buttermilk and honey until blended. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until thoroughly blended.
Heat about 1-1/2 inches of oil in a deep heavy pot until hot enough to sizzle and brown a crust of bread or 375° on a deep frying thermometer.
Add the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls to the hot oil. Fry, turning as they brown, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon lift the fritters from the oil to a tray lined with double thickness of paper towels.
Heat the additional darker honey in a saucepan set over very low heat, stirring, just until warmed, about 1 minute. Add the bacon to the warm honey and serve with the fritters.
Recipe courtesy of Marie Simmons, cookbook author.